View Single Post
      05-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #109
DGod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 E60, BMW 1M E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSugarSkulls View Post
Because the only way we can order a true manual transmission is without it- that's why.
First of all congrats on your Frozen Black beauty, looking forward to see it.
Regarding the manual I can't even think about it considering I'm in Europe. I'm one of those manual gearbox die hard fans, so I truly understand your position. When all this double cutch stuff started surfacing I was really worried as I couldn't really accept that the future of my biggest passion would be dominated by it. I remember waiting for the GT-R like crazy and being so disappointed with no manual transmission...
However, I must admit that in some cases manual isn't the better option. When I bought my F10 M5 I was so jealous of you guys in the States getting the manual option. Now I'm glad I couldn't get it at all.
The M5/M6 are brutal cars. I sold mine with more than 50k kilometers and believe me when I say I don't drive slow at all, and I go sideways a lot. Truth is these drivetrains really demand DCTs and that's the only way to get the best out of your car. I get it, you will drive it around town, but still...
I'm lucky enough to own other manual cars, which I hope to keep for the rest of my life, because those will keep that magic alive. They have amazing gearboxes as well - Porsche 911 C4S with Porsche short shifter, BMW M3 E46, Miata... But for these modern beasts, definitely DCT. It's really about how you feel that day. I often take the keys to one of my manuals because I feel I want that type of drive. But I never ever had a dull moment on my M5...
I understand the use you are set to give to your M6, and I get your arguments, but come on... Any owner of a car like this would love to get all the bits and pieces. And if you ask me, I would take the Pack Competition over the manual tranny everyday, simply because it makes a better car no matter how you see it. I am that type of guy that always gets LCIs, because I can only consider keeping an LCI model, hence having sold my M5. I always feel like they have more value somehow, like they are the better faster version of a product that I cherish (and they are).
I'm getting a special Individual order for the 2016 M6 GC, I'm working with my dealer now to create a car that is unique to me. I want to keep it for the rest of my life if possible, together with some of my other toys, so I want it to be special and collectible. Last years of production, LCI, Pack Competition, special order paint and interior, and DCT for sure. Because there was never a single second in all those kilometers in my M5 that I thought "I wish it was manual".
Appreciate 0