04-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #59
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF12M6
GMD,

Do you have a recommendation for a less aggressive pad? I figured the Carbotech low dust pads would be less aggressive.

When doing the bedding in (hard braking from 70 down to 30) has anyone else felt the wheels skipping due to it? It did repeatedly for me, felt like thuds, nothing like any other ABS system I had felt. So we positioned someone near us to watch and the wheels would literally lock up and skip. They definitely are beasts for brakes.

Just wonder if that means I am braking too hard?

Either way, I asked may SA if it were reasonable to expect that the noise would go away. He said "yes" it should go away, so back to the dealer it goes on Friday.

I am sorry, I am around Ferrari's, Lambo's, 911 Turbos, etc... all the time amongst our local group and none of their brakes squeal.

I have a hard time believing it is due to the weight of our car. It is extremely embarrassing during city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
I'm sorry but it is normal for high performance floating rotors with an aggressive pad to make noise . All you have to do is change out the pads to a less aggressive compound . You are being very unreasonable . We as customers have complained to BMW to put more capable brakes / pads on the M5/6 over the last generation and when they do people complain a bout them making noise which IS normal for any high performance rotor /pad combo . Like I said change out the pads to a less aggressive compound and put high temp anti sqeel compound on the backing plates of the pads .
The reason Ferrari brakes don't squeal is their drivers don't drive them ! In all seriousness there are several silicon anti squeal agents you can put on the backing plates of the pads to reduce squeal . Which carobotech pads did you purchase ? The reason you're tires were skipping is you brakes hard enough to engage ABS . The goal of pad break in is to deposit an even transfer layer onto the rotor . You don't want to use full braking force , it's more like 60% . I have the carbon ceramics and they have been dead quiet for 6k miles . I understand you're frustration but Id try the permetex anti squeal and a proper bedding . I think you will be pleased .
George
Appreciate 0