04-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #13
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
I've s een that one and it loo ks nice, but I use a similar version in my work/fleet cars and I've messed up a couple vents! Don't want to do that in my 6 for sure. I think that the location of the cup holder is making me lean more toward a version that will sit in there.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Sm.../dp/B00M4LV5H0

EDIT: there is a "short arm" version of this also, same brand. I ordered both and will see which sits at the correct height so I can still get to the dash controls.
Wow! That holder is so cool. I have got to get one of the long and short reach ones. It's not like I need one of those all the time. But if I were using a V1 or any other device that displayed that device's info on my phone this is something I would want to have. Heck, if I was just making a bunch of calls from phone numbers I had in email (do this every now and then) I'd love to have something like this. That long arm version looks like it would get any visual alert you get from the phone up into your immediate peripheral vision without exposing the fact you have one to someone driving behind you - in case it's not permissible where you are driving (see below).

In addition to all those vents looking so flimsy, it gets very hot around here and I really like staying cool. In fact it gets hot enough that sometimes the AC has a bit of trouble cooling the car down or even maintaining it once it gets there, especially after some time in a sunny parking lot. No way would I even put something slightly overlapping a vent, let alone right in front of it. I sure wish it was different though. I love some of those incredibly cool gauge packages I have seen - I sure wish there was another place to put one of them.

Anyway, thank you troymi for the heads up on this holder! I definitely owe you one for this link.

A word of caution to those mounting their radar detectors by the mirror or sun visor -
This may be old news to most of you but I hope it will help someone avoid trouble. About 30 years ago I lived in CT across the street from a retired Captain in the CT State Police. We lived at a crossroads: he was on one corner across the street from me and the place where I was working was across the other street. The shop was hopping up cars big time (mostly BMWs, VWs, Porsches and Audis but a few other makes too) and almost everybody coming to the shop was using a radar detector of one kind or another. At that time they were illegal in CT then (probably still are) so people were doing all sorts of things to hide them. The retired CT officer was a nearly like long friend and neighbor of my landlady so we all got along really well. He told us a favorite police trick (both state and the local ones that had moving radar - rare for locals back then) was to sneak up behind a car they suspected of using a detector with their radar in a standby mode, then turning it on suddenly to see the reaction of the driver. Generally they were able to see the detector's alert or watch the brake lights come on almost simultaneously with their radar unit. Either way they had the guy. Be careful where you put your detector in states where the use is illegal. My telling of what the officer told me was pretty benign. The police are pretty sharp. That afternoon I learned of some pretty sneaky stuff those guys did; if they weren't trying to enforce the law I'd say they were pretty dirty tricks and the way I drove in those days (had to test customer cars) I was very surprised I had not gotten a couple of tickets.

Good luck guys. I just had the break in service on my car done today and celebrated by a quick merge into the highway speed traffic right in front of the dealership. Wahoo!!! I was expecting fast, but not like that. I have driven faster cars before but only a couple that were much faster than this one. I just got out of a B7 so this was a bit of a surprise. It certainly gave me a whole new understanding of this word I keep hearing around here - beast. I know I am preaching to the choir here but talk about the Joy of Driving.

Last edited by chask; 04-03-2015 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0