Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKRZ View Post
What aesthetics? The Audi rear end looks like an elephant sat on its trunk?!? On a serious note, as an M6 driver the worry is BMW has slipped on the dynamics side which is their brands core selling point. They really have to work on the traction off line and weight which effects the handling. I love the car, but can't help feeling they cruised through its R&D.
I agree with some of your points (and trust me, I don't like the Audi looks).
I agree that BMW doesn't seem to be focused on the 'ultimate driving machine' anymore because the market has moved away from that. They are just trying to keep up with the market, and as a result, loosing some pure enthusiasts.

To me, the 2013/4 gens seem like sporty Lexus'. Hell, in some comparisons the GS-F Sport got better ratings for 'driving feel' than the F10 5 series.

However, I do not agree that off the line traction is important for a BMW. Screw 0-60 times, I could care less. These are not 1/4 mile cars. It's good to have a fast 1/4 mile time because it's a measure of the power of the car, but I could care less to launch faster. I care more about how predictable the car is, how it feels, how it behaves in the curves, how quickly I can get on the gas pedal coming out of a corner and how easily I can modulate the throttle, etc.

I'm not buying a BMW to launch it from stop light to stop light. So off the line traction is not nearly as important as the feel of the car, the weight, predictability, etc.