04-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #27
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i xdrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post
After 20k miles, my tyres are ready for a change. I have decided to replace the existing 20 inch Dunlop SP Sport Max GT runflats with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which are not runflats) which I have read some good things about. I am doing this in the hope that the softer sidewalls will help make the ride just a little less hard. I will report back when it's done.

I shall keep a can of tyre weld in the boot but I feel the need to keep a spacesaver wheel in the garage as well just in case I blow out close to home. Plenty of them available 2nd hand on eBay which are good enough for me. But which size? There are some R18s available for X5s but will they be too tall for the 6ers wheel arches? Is an R17 wheel better? And is the configuration of the 5 wheel bolts the same on all BMW models?
Based on the sidewall, what's the different types that can be purchased? My 255/35/20 looks different from my 295/30/20.

One tire shop told me the 255/35/20 is stretched that's why it sits behind the rim and another told me my 295/30/20 have the rim protector that's why it sits so much on the outside of the rim.

I'm looking to get 285/30/20 on the rear without "rim protector" or tire that's "stretched".
Appreciate 0