View Single Post
      02-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #23
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Yes more torque and yes the driving dynamics between the two cannot be different. The new M3/M4 cars are lighter than their predecessors while the M5/M6 have gotten heavier and larger and more complex. Not that they still don't do the job but having driven all three chassis now F10, F06 and now F80; I cannot but help to say that the smaller chassis does drive better dynamically and is more nimble as expected that the larger chassis just cannot do as well. Yes the M6 is a brute as is the M5 but they still cannot overcome the physics portion of the equation they need to deal with as well as the smaller BMW. Much more torque is needed to move the large mass of the larger 5 and 6 series M cars. BMW had done I think a great job of giving each owner something he/she seeks its just their job to figure out which ones are important to them as none of them do all things well. But the M3 to me brings it back and closest to the driving experiences of my e46 and e92 M3s.
I do agree with you that M3/M4 are more nimble than M5/M6 and as you said they are designed for different purposes.
As a side note (since many people are referring to heavy weight and large size of M5/M6 compare to their predecessors) , the weight of these cars is exactly what it has to be. 10% more weight (compare to E6x) is the price of 20% more power and 50% more torque! Yes it's the law of physic...In order to handle 600+ HP and 550+ lb-ft torque of a front engine RWD car compare to 500 HP and 380 lb-ft torque you need to have a heavier car and this is exactly what is missing in F8x M3/M4. That much torque for that light car is a lot. You really cannot use the low end torque. I do not have F8x, but have read many threads and have test driven the car twice both in DSC ON and MDM. Indeed there is not much difference between DSC ON and MDM since DSC is always interfering because of that much torque while in M6 with more torque (as I mentioned before) and more weight, always I drive the car in MDM with no issue except the rainy days and I feel the difference between DSC ON and MDM. M5/M6 are not true track cars while M3/M4 are track cars and that's where you need that torque but as a DD car, I believe something between S55 and S65 is a perfect match for this chassis.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0