View Single Post
      02-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

2017 650xi GC - Arrival and Review

So, I placed the order for my 650xi GC about 2.5 months ago now, and I finally took delivery today.

First, I'll just say this... WOW. Hands down, after nearly two decades of BMW ownership, this is (by far) the best BMW I've owned. Now, if that sounds a bit over the top... maybe it is... considering I've only owned it for a day, and who really knows how, long term, that'll go. But on first impressions, it's nothing short of a very true statement!

The Looks

If I had to quickly sum it up for someone, I'd say this: if Gulfstream built a car, this would be it. The analogy to a private jet is the best I can come up with for this car. It's long, low, wide, and sleek, giving it a look like nothing else on the road... like a small passenger jet with wheels. It conveys sportiness and luxury in one package in a flawless way. As many times as I've looked at photos of the 6GC, every time I see one (rarely) in person, it always surprises.

The Drive

This car is a refreshing change from my previous '14 550xi. The 550xi was a fantastic car, but the 650xi GC just beats the experience on every level.

In the 550xi, if you left it in comfort mode (which I often did due to road quality), it was a bit of a pig. It wafted over little hills and bumps, and if you drove it too quickly in that mode, it felt a bit uneasy - the weight of the car was very, very present. It wasn't until you put the 550xi in sport mode did it hunker down a bit and drive like a proper BMW as far as handling goes.

The 650xi GC is completely different. Even in comfort mode, it handles like a proper BMW. The suspension is a night and day improvement. The car feels more planted and sharper in steering than the 550xi ever did. In sport mode, it's even better. I did opt for the Adaptive Drive, so I'm sure it's also part of it - but I also had it on the 550xi and didn't feel it did nearly as much for the handling!

For the first 30 minutes or so, I was pretty conscious of the size of the GC. But after some more time behind the wheel today, it started to shrink around me. Judging the corners will be tough for a while, I'm sure, but I could feel a marked improvement just in a few hours of playing with it.

The engine note is way more pronounced, despite being the same N63TU, so it must all come down to the exhaust. The dealer told me he also believes the transmission control is different on the GC, as well - which would make sense.

The Technology

For the most part, it's very similar to my old 550xi. But the new iDrive is a nice improvement. I haven't had a chance to play around much, but there are already several features that are stand-out improvements - like ability to track the car with real GPS (not just a mile away), wireless phone charging, mobile hotspot, and a variety of improved iDrive menu options (plus new look, of course).

I loaded the GC pretty well... including B&O (which is fantastic!), night vision (haven't played with it yet), adaptive drive, active cruise control, active seats, and pretty much any checkbox that could be ticked... which may explain why it came to over $113k! But, the car feels the part of every dollar, I will say.

Below are a few pics. It's already getting a bit filthy from the road salt/sand, but such is life. Overall, I'm VERY satisfied with the purchase decision so far. The car oozes class, sophistication, and technology... and I'm itching to take it on a lengthy drive somewhere interesting!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0