View Single Post
      02-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I'm at nearly 9k having only added 1 qt at about 4500. Based on the level meter I'll need another soon. That's reasonable to me. But every 1k-1.3k is excessive. All on these forums who have had high oil consumption always seem to be in this same range. The dealer should top you off for free regardless of amount, but I wouldn't stand for the excessive consumption. Something is wrong and it should be addressed.

Judd: Anyone who takes one of these cars to Jiffylube should have their head examined. But I would love to be a fly on the wall when these idiots look for the dipstick. In fear of starting another oil change thread I'll leave it at this: 3-5k oil changes is an ancient requirement of old tech oil supported by places like Jiffylube to keep you paranoid and coming back for more up-sells. Modern cars with modern oil do not need changes so frequently. Stick with the manufacturers recommendation and you'll be fine.

Some studies indicate that changing oil too frequently is actually bad for your engine, especially newer DI engines. Fresh oil has higher volatility, until it stabilizes with use, allowing more gases into the intake system generally mucking up the works. I'll stop here - this is off topic - but I strongly urge anyone interested to do their own research. There is a ton of it out there. The OEs have nothing to gain by under changing your oil. In fact the dealer networks would gain by increased intervals.

I've hit 145 - stable as hell, but that was in a straight line.
Appreciate 0