SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBriggs View Post
Former owner of an N63 here, first gen motor (2011 X5). My understanding is that the heat of the turbos bakes the two rear cylinders. Our cooling system was fine, we did the Cust Car Pkg, fixed leaks again and again, we loved the car. I did oil changes every 4-5K miles, from probably ~45K miles on. By 114K miles, it was burning >1qt every 400 miles and getting worse. A service director and an indy mechanic both said the same thing...heat from the turbos scores or damages the rear cylinders, and you burn oil. More and more. I would do anything you can to isolate the turbo heat from the cylinders, and turbo blankets seem very logical. That was our experience, hope your and anyone with an N63 has better luck! Fantastic motor, just not long term durable like most BMW 6 cyl motors.
I can’t see how the heat would affect the cylinder walls. I could be wrong, but isn’t the main issue with the N63 the valve seals becoming brittle? That then lets oil into the cylinders and burns off, causing the oil consumption issue.

I’m sure the heat causes other issue such as brittle cooling and oil hoses. It also would cause any plastic parts under the hood to become brittle as well.

I know there’s a company that makes turbo blankets for the N63 to help with heat management. I looked into them for my N63TU, but there don’t seem to be options for this application unfortunately.
Appreciate 0