06-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
One would think that a company as precise as BMW could make an accurate speedometer.

And another thing! How many miles are actually on my car? Is there an algorithm for that? If you think about it, if the speedo runs 2 mph faster the odometer will record more miles than actually driven.
If memory serves me correct...I think the "excuse" given for the speedo is some European Union regulation in regards to the speedometers.

And I believe the difference between the odometer and speedometer is handled electronically as well. We know (based on tech data from the e38/e39/e46/e53 era) that distance data was sent to the ABS unit, then onto the IKE (instrument cluster electronics) by way of the left rear wheel sensor. So somewhere in the mix, the mileage is being recorded...but the speedo is knocking off MPH based on some type of algorithm. So actual mileage is correct although speed/MPH is being slightly reduced as it appears in the speedometer.

EDIT: Here's some old data I had for the e38/e39/e46/e53 generation...see DISTANCE SIGNAL for the correct interpretation of what I was trying to write above. I bet if one searched the TIS for the new generation BMWs...you will probably find similar design parameters/elements:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-23-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50