Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Speedo error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Are you new to BMWs? I only ask because this issue (speedo not truly accurate) has been a discussion that I've seen/read about since I've known/owned BMWs (the mid 1980s). I long ago wrote this off as a non-issue...recognizing that my speedo is actually a mile or two below what I'm actually seeing on the instrument cluster. And set my speed accordingly especially if on a long highway trip and using cruise control. Driving around town...I rarely even think about it unless a see the police on ticket patrol...then I know I have a built in "cushion" of a couple of MPH when I glance down to see how fast I'm going.
Yes, exactly. I remember this from way back to my 2005 330ci and the same is true with my 2016 640 GC. One would think that a company as precise as BMW could make an accurate speedometer. And another thing! How many miles are actually on my car? Is there an algorithm for that? If you think about it, if the speedo runs 2 mph faster the odometer will record more miles than actually driven.
Appreciate 0