06-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think the main reason is the 114i is cheaper than a 116i. By about 1,800 euros in base price. That would be reason enough for most Germans looking for a small compact car to buy. That is the reason why BMW is building this car. A BMW at a lower price point.

When you look at the technical specs... the two cars (114i vs 116i) are almost the same. Both are powered by a 1.6L turbo four. Both average 5.5L/100 kph. Both only pollute 132 grams/kilometer.

Btw the same engine is also used in the 118i, just with more boost and power.

114i 102 PS 180 Nm
116i 136 PS 220 Nm

Only in the US do people "live and die" by a car's zero to sixty times. Germans could car less about that. More important is a car's top speed and fuel economy. And how much they have to pay the tax man every year(to own a car, based on its grams of CO2 per kilometer).

114i 116i
0-100 kph (62 mph) 11.2 8.5
0-1000 meters 32.7 29.8
80 to 120 kph (4th/5th) 11.7/14.8 8.6/10.6
top speed: 195 kph 210 kph

Both cars are quite close in specs. Just that the in gear over taking is much better with the 116i. And it is no wonder with the x20d engine is BMW most popular power plant. You get more power/torque, use less fuel. A bmw with the x20d engine is BMW's bread and butter car(s). Be it a one, three, five or Xer!

F20 technical details here...
http://www.7-forum.com/news/2012/1er...sche_daten.pdf
TY for the explanation.

Perhaps you are right about US folks' concern with 0-60 times. I'm not one of them per se, but I do care to a point. Around here, we actually have entrance ramps onto highways whereon traffic moves at 105-110 kph, yet, folks entering from those ramps start from a standing stop. Getting up to speed to merge into that traffic would be quite a task in 114, or 116 for that matter. Then again, BMW don't sell those cars here, so it's likely a moot point.

Years ago, I had a 318i and, though not nearly as fast as either of the 3ers in my household today (one 328 and one 335) that car was fast enough for pretty much any daily driving situation. I would imagine that engine (a 4 cylinder) was quite similar to that in the 118 you mentioned above.

As you likely know, we haven't the CO2 tax you face there in DE; thanks for sharing that factor. I can imagine how it could be a determinant for some people.

The lower price point issue, based on info read here, seems to be a tactic BMW are pursuing in the US as well. And well they should as it seems entirely likely to me that, within a few years, one won't be able to get a well equipped (nav, upgraded radio, sunroof, xenons, heated seats and wheel) 3er for less than $45, which is my somewhat arbitrarily defined threshold for the maximum a basic, daily driver sort of car should cost. And even at that price, though I normally don't consider other car brands, I would shop the competition. I would imagine there are many folks who share my view. I would imagine I'm a fairly typical US BMW customer.

I'm in my early 50s, divorced, with three kids. Since 2007, I've bought three 3ers (my own, one for my daughter in college and one for a family member who suffered great misfortune) and just ordered another for my son who'll be off to college this fall. I've got a few years to go before it'll be time to get my last son a car, but I hope BMW won't have priced themselves out of the running.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0