01-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #50
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlife208 View Post
For those in the US like me. Does Trump have the power in put this tax in place without congress? I think congress is not up for this tax (Republicans included) so the chances of this going through seems slim? Also let's say if it does go through can anybody answer how long would it take them to put into effect and how this will this effect the price of the BMW G30?

In Drumpf's case he wants to unilaterally impose a tariff. Which in that case it depends. The POTUS does have some authority as given by Congress. For instance, the POTUS can impose tariffs on nations engaging in unfair trade practices with the US. However, finding such authority for the cases Drumpf has been blathering about will probably be difficult because of NAFTA.

FWIW, NAFTA took four years to be negotiated and then approved by Congress: http://www.cfr.org/trade/naftas-economic-impact/p15790. Further, parts took over a decade to be implemented.

Oh and remember what Drumpf does to Mexico would most likely also apply to Canada. That would hit the big three US automakers and many of his supporters.
Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50