View Single Post
      01-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #16
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Congratulations! That's the point of a lease, after all, right? You get to jump around and try different cars... sometimes, as you said, very different!

Having fun in a car is a must for me. My 650xi GC hasn't yet arrived (should be here in a few more weeks), but if it's anything like my 550xi (and I'm pretty sure it will be), then it'll be a nice, large, somewhat boaty highway cruiser that brings amazing luxury together with fantastic styling, nice speed, and typical BMW build. But nimble? Corner carver? Sports car handling? Nope, nope, and nope.

Congrats on the M2 - that one should be a true blast to drive. And after 3 years, maybe you'll be looking for that luxury land yacht again!
My friend with a 550xi and I would switch occasionally. I think I posted a thread on it somewhere. To me... the 650 handled better, sounded better (had sport exhaust after all), and the steering was sooo much better. But the 550 was more nimble? The throttle mapping was just so different - it felt FAST at all speeds. They could not be more different cars! On that note, I think you will really like the 650, just make sure to put it in sport when you need to snap around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
The GC is very long. I have a coupe and it really does feel a lot smaller than the GC. I can't believe you like the M2 seat better. It may hug better, but it is not as compliant or soft. Maybe you had different seats in your GC than me?

No car is "wrong" with a stick. A bigger car is a bigger car with or without a stick. But I think you would have found your GC to be much more engaging if it was a regular coupe and had a stick

The M2 just feels cheap to me (and so does the 3 and 4 series). Too much plastic everywhere and too cramped.
Yes, the seats in the GC are different than the coupe and... not knocking the 650 coupe, but just like a stick in a big car, a large two door car is not my style. I've never actually owned a car as beautiful as the GC.

To me, the M2 is engaging - it wraps around you (as you noted), you become one with the car - kind of like the previous gen 3-series. Yes, there are certainly some imperfections (electric steering has a small dead spot and then TURNS like crazy), dakota leather, etc. However, I remember saying to my dealer a week after I got my 650 that I thought I might have made a mistake - whereas, with the M2, I just texted him last night that I was really really starting to like this car - winter in Chicago and all!
edit: That doesn't mean the M2 is a better car (or that the 650 is a better car), it just means that they are very very different cars and today, I personally prefer the M2. But in three years, who knows? That new 550xi certainly looks yummy.
Appreciate 0