View Single Post
      04-09-2024, 11:30 PM   #9
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
QUOTE by JBF650...."yep all true WWC, again no disrespect to you or your suggestion. your car you do as you wish mate, all good

My comment is mainly addressed to Ralph and to allay his concern with under bonnet temps.
As you say WWC, the cooling fans run for a a short time after a drive if its very hot so all good.
Improbable eventualities or suggesting convoluted solutions for issues that just aren't there doesn't seem logical to me.
Hello JBF650,
I really don't get your responses with due respect. The N63 has a notorious history of engine issues caused by the excessive heat it generates due to the hot v design. That's in part why it went through all of the modifications, lawsuits, and then customer care packages being offered, etc. The upgraded N63TU engine was included in some of these lawsuits, btw, as they also suffered from some of the same issues as the original version. All due to the excessive heat the engine generates. You're simply wildly inaccurate to say that BMW "perfectly engineered the car to operate perfectly in most normal climates...". If that were the case, they'd have a warranty of 10yrs or 100k miles. No, BMW was required to engineer the car to meet certain government regulations such that was not beneficial to the car itself.

So, why would you take issue with my taking a few pro active steps or making an inquiry, just as many others have taken, in an attempt to mitigate such? Otherwise, we absolutely love our 650i and I'd like to be able to keep it for a while. You just don't hear of owners getting a lot of high mileage out of these though. Whereas our 530xi has over 260k miles on it and still running strong.

Our 650i doesn't really have any issues at the moment but there are two things I've recently noticed. It is starting to lose a little oil, so I'll be keeping an eye on that. In addition, the rubber seal/weather strip under the hood (bonnet) is crumbling and there is no doubt the engine compartment heat is causing this degradation.

Yes, I could and do actually open the hood after parking the vehicle on occasion. This results in the engine compartment cooling down nicely. That however is not a legitimate or long term solution. A long term solution would be to have the fan or other fans running longer to expel the heat after parking it. A long term solution would be to have the vehicle run at a cooler temp (lower t-stat) which would result in less heat being generated.

If you have something legitimate to add to the conversation then I welcome that. If not, please leave it to others to share their experiences.

Thanks,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 04-09-2024 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0