11-02-2023, 08:22 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The "programming" is the part that gets most people. I believe the "programming" removes the lost/missing remote from the car's modules. So if someone intentionally took your remote to come back later to steal the car...the remote will no longer work if its been removed/canceled.

If you have no fear of this happening, then you could save money by not paying for the "programming"...because the remote's transponder comes from BMW already with the 128-bit encryption that is specific to your BMW by its VIN. And if you paid for the mechanical key...make sure that it arrives "cut" to your VIN's specific lock cylinders.

Then all is required is a simple start procedure which I believe requires holding the new remote up to the icon on the steering column to start the car (see info below).

FYI...the starting capability of the remote does not require the battery inside...starting features are powered through induction. So a dead battery in the remote will NOT prevent it from starting the vehicle. Just hold the remote next to the icon (ring aerial) on the steering column and it will power up to transmit the encryption code.
A wealth of knowledge. Thank you for the share. I lost my spare and know it isn't coming back and need a new one. Actually my daughter lost her E93 spare too so we need two keys. This is a huge help as she and I have spent a lot of money recently on parts and repairs. I'll take any savings I can get right now.

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0