10-22-2023, 11:30 AM   #8
Cincinnatus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
You are correct about the 2 methods. To be honest the bearings, rods and pistons could be done with an engine bridge in place but anyone worth their weight in salt would drop the front assembly and knock it out in a much shorter time frame.

In regards to other items to address while doing this with engine out. I would do 5150 CP rods and pistons if ya want the additional peace. I’d also do the plugs, coils and injectors. By them from FCP euro and enjoy lifetime warranty. While there you could do the valve seal job; I think 5150 might have a kit for this as well. The rods, pistons and bearings from 5150 would be about 5k-ish. The plugs, coils and injectors you’d be about 1.5k.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply. I may touch base via PM to explore this further, but in the interest of helping others looking on, here are a couple concerns.

Based on the work and parts you outlined, it sounds like the bill would be coming in at about $12k or more. That seems like a pretty big number for a car that's got a street value in the low 30's. Not sure what adding all the forged parts would be in terms of performance improvements that would make a hit like that worthwhile. Can you outline what the upside would be?

I do have a good indy shop near me in Northern NJ but they'd be sending the motor out. So I'm pretty sure the whole bill would be about $5k for bearings alone, a far more tolerable number if basic reliability is the goal. So far all the Blackstone tests are good and I'm not burning oil, and I have no plans to track the car at the moment. But the allure of more power is quite a siren's song.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0