View Single Post
      06-13-2023, 12:03 AM   #16
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850i G15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
Uff that's bad. Will they refund your money since it's not resolving your problem? I think I'm in a strong bargaining position if I decide to go through dealership route. If it's not solving the problem then I could refuse to pay for a "misdiagnosed" root of cause and if it's coming from the rack, I can ask for a replacement for free

I also want to share my experience regarding turning the thrust piece, the last time I did that, it didn't take long before my steering rack went toast. But I guess it's because I turned it too much.

I think it's best for you to source a used steering rack. Lots of indy in Indonesia import used bmw parts from Dubai. Not sure if you can find it
No I didn't do it at BMW, I used my mechanic. I've turnd the thrust piece bolt 4 notches, it feels good and solid, not too tight, so hopefully it won't go toast.. plus it resolved the rattling over cobbled roads.

I've heard about the used racks from Dubai. Apparently they cost in the region of 750-1000 euros. I think I'm going to leave this problem on the back burner for now as it's not a critical fix and it's quite expensive. It's definitely annoying, but it doesn't happen all the time. New rack will set me back 1700 euros.
Appreciate 0