View Single Post
      04-12-2023, 08:49 AM   #9
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

Have you ever gotten a check control message about low coolant? Low coolant can also mess with the HVAC's air temp.

The main coolant reservoir is located in the fender and the fill tube is in the right rear of the engine bay (as you stand in front of the car.

There's no level sensor...so you have to measure down into the fill tube to determine if the coolant is at the correct level. I believe its like between 4-6 inches from the top.

Heh...
Short answer: Very much yes, but it's all good now and the AC is still acting up.

Long answer (feel free to go TLDR, it's irrelevant to the AC conversation): The drama surrounding my car's cooling system over the last year is an interesting book with multiple chapters, let me see if I can summarize effectively:
-Turbo coolant lines started leaking at the connection points about a year ago, finally (due to busy life and much unrelated drama) was able to replace them recently, good to go now.
-Coolant reservoir was punctured by a friend's driveway brain fart while reversing and eventually replaced at a BMW dealer by insurance (along with some body work).
-while that was going on, evidently another coolant line went kablooey (see this thread if you're interested: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004588), so thinking the reservoir replacement had not been done properly or they had missed another damaged component, back it went to the dealer, found the culprit, I paid them ~$300 for identifying the problem and holding my car in limbo for weeks while ignoring my texts and phone calls, and I replaced the broken line.
-One way or another, all this drama killed the aux cooling pump for the turbos, so a rush order from FCP Euro and ANOTHER long night in the garage later, that's replaced as well.
-Now-paranoid me has been checking for signs of leaks and popping the two reservoirs to check levels daily, so far so good. Might be feeling safe enough to hand back my FIL's spare car I've been borrowing...
Appreciate 0