03-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #17
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I dont really see much different in the UX for 8.5 (admittedly only 1 screen shot here and the other screen shot from CES) other than further touch optimization.

It seems like 8.5 is mostly bringing a few nit features to the UI to align with some ideas BMW liked for the touch only idrive 9

What I am seeing, menu that sits on left hand side of ID8 now has quick access from lower bar, these icons will now survive dives into the apps where in the current format users has to return home to access them.... is that it?

i dunno i think this 8/8.5 thing is overblown to some extent till we get more actual feature detail. my guess is the back end features that run the various modules will essentially be updated equally except in cases where hardware is different, for example highway assistant capable vs older traffic jam assistant only
The issue isn’t necessarily feature improvements, it really is software update improvements. BMW touts software upgrades as a major idrive feature (and has since idrive 7), but yet fails in many cases to significantly introduce significant improvements via OTA. Leaving that to only new entire releases of idrive. It is often bug fixes and only minor feature enhancements only. iDrive 8 SP21 versions have been an exception, but I wonder for how long, given 8.5 is now just around the corner.

There is no reason they can’t offer good improvements via OTA, they just don’t have the development bandwidth to do so, in part because they are stretched too thin already. Hence their move to android with os9, taking development significantly out of their hands.
Appreciate 1
Swappy540.50