View Single Post
      07-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

B&O optimized settings

A little background, I have been an audiophile for 30 years. I've built my own preamps, amps, speakers, etc. I worked at Thiel Audio for a while. Current home system is Thiel/Dynaudio, modified Oppo BDP-105, Bryston 4b Pros, etc. All installed in a double wall/isolated room in room, fully treated listening environment. I only mention this, as I have a pretty decent reference system to use for subjective comparisons. I also happen to have the tools necessary to make an objective adjustment to the BMW B&O system. I used a Behringer USB DAC for input/output, Behringer mic preamp/mixer, and Room EQ Wizard. Mic was mounted *approximately where drivers head would be. Measurements were done in a garage, car doors and windows closed. Vehicle is a 2013 M6 convertible, so your GC and Coupes will likely measure differently. Pictures pasted below for reference. All testing/settings are with B&O "Studio" Mode.

I've made 3 minor tweaks based on subjective listening so far. I turned the "Bass" adjustment up one click, "Treble" down one click, and 10KHz down one click. Blue line is before, purple line is after. I was also going to look at things like impulse, decay, etc, but honestly they are so bad in a car environment with so many speakers and reflection points, not to mention the phase/delay trickery B&O uses for imaging adjustments, I'm not even going to post them....

Also, yes I only measured down to 55Hz as below that the B&O system uses some sort of dynamic loudness control that throws things out of whack. I was getting too much distortion to make the measurements accurate. Can't really make any adjustments down there with this system regardless, so no real point in the data. All I know is it peaks pretty hard around 45 and then rolls sharp. Turning down the "Bass" adjustment does let the system breathe a bit lower without getting boomy, turning down the bass actually makes more real bass if that makes sense.
Attached Images

Last edited by patchesj; 07-20-2020 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 3
ep322.50