View Single Post
      04-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #21
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoo98 View Post
Makes sense for the cheap price, BMW oil is made by Shell and its literally the cheapest oil you can get by with. Think about it, BMW gives away free oil changes for the first 2 years of ownership, why would their oil be the best stuff? Have to keep costs down.

As a shop owner, I don't know why you'd take the liability of an oil change on a luxury vehicle to make only $25.
Pennzoil is owned by Shell. BMW oil used to be Castrol. I'm sure Shell makes different types of synthetics, but Pennzoil Euro Platinum is probably the best oil (per expert opinion, not necessarily mine) and the cleanest.

$25 for labor is not bad and keeps the lights on at the shop. Paying more does not mean better quality. Remember, many shops charge $19 for the ENTIRE oil change (non-synthetic oil). Many of these shops do it to get you in the door with the hopes you'll come back for bigger issues if they arise. Kind of like Discount Tire doing free plugs, air fills, etc. They are one of the best in the tire industry so free does not imply they are awful.

I'm still not sure what makes Liquid Moly, Motul, and all those other non-mainstream brands good, especially compared to Pennzoil Euro Platinum, which is not even made from crude oil. Please explain the science behind their oils and why they are better.
Appreciate 0