View Single Post
      01-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

The engine was far less reliable in 2012. By 2013 it had been upgraded to the N63TU. Just make sure it is in fact a TU engine. Easiest way to tell is the location of the main coolant filler cap. In the earlier N63 it was along the driver's fender near the front of the engine bay. On the N63TU it is at the far back driver's side corner near the firewall. The N63TU is relatively reliable. I have read most every thread on this forum for nearly 2 years, and there is no common engine problem theme, except the old N63. But, it is still a very complex engine in a very complex car. No question the 6 in the 640i is more reliable. So I think your mechanics are overstating things a bit. The real question is how much risk you are willing to take and how prepared you are to absorb a financial hit if something does happen. You are buying a $90,000 car for somewhere in the $20s. If you are doing that because a newer version with lower miles is a stretch for you then you may want to think about how you will pay for a $2,000 repair. But you only live once, and it's a first-world type of risk taking.
Appreciate 0