View Single Post
      04-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #38
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Probably wise, but not essential in all situations imo. I had a similar discussion today at a tyre garage. I have a screw in 1 rear RFT but when they removed the tyre, they could see the RFT had started to crease on the inner walls, so wouldn't repair it. One of them advised they should only replace with a RFT, as the axel should match (2x RFT) but when I said no thanks, as I'll be swapping them all soon so put on a cheaper temporary non-RFT while I sorted 4 premium tyres, the other stated all 4 should match. He started to tell me they'd be responsible if something happened if they fitted a non-RFT on the one wheel.

Long story short, they had zero tyres in my size in the garage so I drove away with my original RFT with screw still in it while I sort 4 new MPS4S.

To that I say BS. If there was a real regulation or law, then yes. But otherwise what could they be held responsible for? For me, while it may well be the optimum set up to have all 4 tyres either RFT or non-RFT, and while it may be best to have them match on an axel, it is not a formal requirement, so the fact a tyre garage tries to push it, it's probably more to them about selling more tyres.

I am not saying you should mix RFT and non-RFT, but imo I would be happy to do so on a runabout, city car, etc. without a care in the world. If it's a sports car or one that's driven hard when the occasion arises, then I'd say spend the money where it's needed and have the optimum tyre setup.

This is true for the millions of cars driving around on £40 no-name budget crap tyres and haven't had their pressures checked since 2009. Not optimal, but millions are doing it.
Appreciate 0