11-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post
These engines are known to drink oil. One of the service updates was to lower the threshold in iDrive that alers to low oil. It shouldn't be an issue, but everyone agrees it isn't ideal. If you google N63 oil or N63TU oil you will plenty of issues. I have heard one cause for this is improper bedding of the piston rings during break in. Basically, the engine needs to be stressed to allow the rings to cut the cylinders a tiny bit to seal the oil from the combustion chamber.

Lots and lots of info on this out there.
Hi Murph914, thanks for your post.

I was well aware of that going into the deal. It's just strange that the behavior changed dramatically after the injectors were replaced. Before that, oil consumption wasn't so noticeable.

Knock on wood, but she's been doing fine (except for a strange electronic whine that's developed in the last few weeks - dealer??). I take her on weekly road trips from London to Newcastle, cruise to the South West regularly and just today went on a jaunt to Kent. She sees all sorts of driving, from stop n go on the M25 to blasting down country roads (safely).

Just seems strange the oil drinking behaviours changed slightly when they did.
Appreciate 0