Holland Harry
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe, Z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 NF View Post
Hi
Got loaner from BMW UK with VDC, its very difficult to say if its an improvement.

The VDC appears to not really deal with pot holes and rough road surfaces, and the car is still transferring all road imperfections through the car.

On the motorway around 80-90mph its still unpleasant, my daily commute is just not great in these so called Gran Coupes.

This is the second car I have driven with the same characteristics, its poor with all the BMW Hype.

I noticed TOPGEAR magazine has one on there fleet, and in this months magazine TOM FORD who is driving it, has mentioned the 'crashing over pot holes' and is hinting at bigger issues.

The car is not in anyway a sporty drive given its limited dynamics, due to either wheel combo, suspension set up and more compact seating to allow for that sleek look.

All show and no go!

Its a shame, back to dealer for there thoughts, BMW have already suggested they are not interested blaming my previous car choice!! I.E BMW's ??????

But I didn't expect too much support from those guys.

Its a big let down
I don't know mate! I drive this Gran Coupe for a year now with 20 inch wheels! At least in Holland I cannot say I have this experience. At first I had problems with the handling in the corners but when I changed to normal tyres (Michelin Pilot Supersport) it rides ok! You have to take in account that the car is almost as long and heavy as a 7 series. So it will never be like a 3 series coupe. But if you find the ride of a Gran Coupe hard on potholes. You probably never drove a BMW E60 5 series with runflat. IN comparison to the E60 the Gran Coupe is very soft on the suspension. With normal tyres and in comfort plus mode the car drives almost like a Cadillac from the 70's! If the potholes is the problem in the UK, drive a Merc with 16inch tyres and you wil not have a problem! At least not in a straight line.
Appreciate 0