Originally Posted by nwills
How does one do this?
It's a remote operation? I can have this done without taking my car in?
I don't have BMW apps in my 650iGC and had it in my F10. Wouldn't mind doing it!
I went through the following process for my retrofit:
1. Go to www.Bimmer-Tech.com
, email them your VIN to validate applicability, get a quote and place your order.
2. The necessary parts and an OBD E-Net cable will be sent to you by DHL.
3. Install the parts according to the instructions provided. (I didn't have the time nor the courage to do it myself. Had it done by qualified BMW engineers at my local workshop.)
4. Make an appointment with Bimmer-Tech (Patryk or MEN) to arrange your remote coding session.
5. Prepare a Windows laptop with internet connection to be used in your car.
6. Follow instructions given to install a couple of programs that will allow them to perform the necessary coding. You will be guided over Skype.
7. Connect laptop to car using supplied OBD E-Net cable and sit back. (Make sure your laptop has power or sufficient charge for at least an hour)
8. Follow basic instructions given by the coder over Skype. (Ignition on, Ignition off, lock car, check functions, etc)
9. Enjoy new functions.
Overall, the remote coding process took less than an hour for me and they got BMW Apps along with a bunch of HUD enhancements done in one sitting. Even Engine Auto Start Stop got coded to remember last setting.
As mentioned, these guys know their BMW's and it is a marvel to watch them enhance your car remotely right before your eyes.